Saturday, July 3, 2010

Greetings from the desert! Things in Kuwait are very different from what I'm used to in the states. I am on a pretty built up base in Kuwait called Camp Arifjan. Compared to my last deployment, I feel really spoiled to be here. It reminds me of any active duty base in the states, except that it gets up to 120 often. The heat is quite bad, but I spend most of my days indoors, so that helps a lot. Here on Arifjan there is a pool, Panda express, Burger King, Baskin Robbins, among other places to eat. We even have 2 Starbucks (they make good smoothies).

My job is pretty intense. I am over a huge contract that plays a major part of the drawdown from Iraq. That is really all I can say, except it has been interesting so far to see how all of our tax dollars are being spent.

I naturally miss home. I think the best part about being home is going to be getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and not having to walk 150 meters outside to the closest toilet. Fun right!? I get to skype and see the kids all the time, which makes my time here so much more bearable. I saw Charlie crawl for the first time the other day, and I was such a proud papa. I'll post some pictures when I get more settled in. I really haven't taken many, so I'll have to be better at that! Love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! It's great to have new posts from the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It sounds like your overseas tour is nicer than mine. We don't have a Panda Express. What I really miss is Taco Bell though. I just want a 60 cent soft taco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all you're sacrificing to be there helping out. Best wishes your way (and home to MaryJane).

    ReplyDelete