Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kuwaiti Christmas


Greetings from the desert! Here in Kuwait, the temperatures are really cooling off. We had a high of 71 and a low of 39 and I really am freezing. I'm in trouble when I come home during the winter for my leave. My Thanksgiving was nice. We had a big toast and then the leadership got to serve the troops Thanksgiving Dinner. It was nice serving the Soldiers, and I think they appreciated it. The food was really good. We had the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cranberries. But we also had shrimp and lobster gumbo and some other interesting dishes. Needless to say, I ate way too much. But it was nice to take knee and reflect on what matters most.




I asked Kandis to help me collect some gift cards for a project that we did on Dec 1st. It was a 5 mile ruck march where the soldiers put on Santa hats, and we all went on a ruck march for "toys." Because of shipping costs and stuff, they decided to just use gift cards instead. Kandis mobilized the troops and we got a whole bunch of gift cards, lots of Santa hats, and even some decorations for us to decorate our rucksacks. Over 1,000 Soldiers participated, of which my unit was very small. With the gift cards that we collected, we sent them home to one of our Soldiers who really needs it. I haven't heard from him, but I'm sure he is grateful. So special thanks to Kandis and all of her helpers: Nicole Lofthouse, Mom, Colette, Aunt Christy and Uncle Kenny, Aunt Kathy, Jason Bunderson and fam, Kandis's work, and a few more I probably forgot. It was a success and we had a good time sharing what little bit of Christmas exists here in the east.


I get to talk to Mary and the kids all the time on skype which is a huge blessing. I love you all! And I wish you a Merry Christmas from Kuwait!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you get to talk to Mary often. I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving and holiday project. I'm glad the majority of the months are behind you guys.
    Best wishes & Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Namen!

    I'm so glad the march turned out good! I love it when good things come together like that. I hope you remember we are all thinking of you! Love you so much.
    Kandis

    ReplyDelete