Monday, August 20, 2012

Great-Grandmother's Quilt

My dad's cousin was talking to him on the phone a few months ago and happened to mention that he had a quilt top that their grandmother had pieced and didn't know what to do with it. My mom immediately volunteered to quilt it for her. She knows that hand quilting is the only way to go with an antique quilt like this, and that we should keep the job in the family. 
I worked on the quilt with my mom for a few hours, but didn't make a dent. She has a big task ahead.

I love all the fabric that Great-Grandma Parnell used. I also love that if she ran out of one kind of fabric, she found another that was close to the same color and continued the squares with it. You can kind of see it in the green and purple on the far left.

I can't imagine how long it took my great-grandma to piece this quilt. All of the tiny squared are hand sewn together. And I doubt she had a rotary cutter. It's a great feeling of family history and family unity sitting down and quilting something made by an ancestor whom neither I nor my mom ever met. I hope she's happy with our efforts.

2 comments:

  1. I never saw the actual quilt top when I was there. That's incredible! she must have been a very patient woman. I'd go crazy cutting and sewing so many squares. Maybe she was part of one of those women's groups where they met together with their little quilt projects and visited. I'd like to think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know when she made the quilt top. I don't remember seeing her sew. We should send these pictures to my cousin, Marilyn. She would be pleased with the progress you all are making.

    ReplyDelete